help kudzu & modem

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Nov 24 18:53:47 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 10:38:44AM +0100, gdbnet at tin.it wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got problem using my usr 56k fax modem (serial and external) with fedora
> core 1.
>
> Kudzu doesn't find modem on startup and i don't know how to make it work.

For modems, you don't really need kudzu.  Log in as root and do this:
	if you modemis on COM2:
		ln -s /dev/ttyS1 /dev/modem
	or COM3:
		ln -s /dev/ttyS2 /dev/modem
	or COM1:
		ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem

then just point your system at /dev/modem as it's modem device.

if in the future, kudzu offers to change it for you, just tell it
to ignore it, don't touch it, don't offer to touch it again (I forget
the correct wording....)