Tuning Memory

Darwin Zins dzins at comcast.net
Mon Nov 24 23:43:09 UTC 2003

I was running Mandrake 9.1 and I very rarely used the swapfile.
Fedora, is swapping my applications out and using the ram for file
cache.  Is there any way to change this?  To make it so that it never
swaps applications out unless it absolutely has to?

Right now for example my system has been sitting idle for the last few
hours, the file cache has grown and grown in memory use, while User has
gotten smaller and smaller and the swapfile has grown in use.  Right
now I would say 80% of my ram is in use by cache and 20% by
User/Shared/Buffers and the swapfile has 70MB in it that must be from
User.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Darwin