The Fedora Core release notes suck!

damon fister damonfister at comcast.net
Tue Nov 25 04:04:25 UTC 2003

Hello all,

Just some suggestions that might be helpful for everyone, break the
release notes into two sections. One for people new to Fedora/Redhat and
one section for those who have previous experience with Fedora/Redhat.
And yes I have read the current release notes thank you very much. :-)

 An introduction to the project is a nice way to break someone into the
community.

Hardware requirements are a must as well as certain errata about out of
box support for some of the more common hardware problems (i.e. wireless
g cards, current Nvidia drivers, etc) This does not have to be long and
involved just a mention about if certain things will work out of box or
if it will require tweaking.

I also think it would be prudent to cover major package/software issues
like the Flash plug-in for Mozilla. It's not an involved answer but it
would save us about 50 posts a day explaining that compat-libstdc++
needs to be installed for Flash to function properly until the new
plug-in is released.

The new handling of updates needs to be explained better, it's nice that
it is mentioned that up2date now uses yum and where to find the
configuration files, but for people who have not used yum in the past, a
little explaining needs to be done. Such as how to obtain updates, how
many repositories you should have in your configuration files and a
brief tutorial on how to obtain new RPMs using yum.

I know all of this seems very expansive and might be a bit much for a
Release Notes / README file, but providing this information somewhere on
the website even would give Fedora an image of being more user friendly.

Damon Fister
RHCT