raise window on-click

Merc zenmerc at comcast.net
Tue Nov 25 06:13:53 UTC 2003

Hi!

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 22:48, Rob Park wrote:
> Merc wrote:
> > I do agree with you that it should be an option.  I must say though that
> > this change delighted me, and is Correct (tm). ;-)
>
> Ugh, this drives me nuts.
[snip]
> Does that make sense?

No, not to me :-) Having used many, many window managers over the years,
I do not like my mouse actions within windows to raise that window.  I
like to be able to type in one application, with another hovering to the
side or something, so I can monitor it, on top.  Older ones have always
worked like that, and I'm just used to it.

I do agree that there are some focus problems, especially regarding
keyboard focus.

If I were you, I would just use a window manager that you like.
Metacity is for new people who don't need that much customization
ability, or old farts like me who have stopped caring a whole hell of a
lot :-).  RedHat simplified the desktop so that more pressing issues
(system stability, performance, and compatibility) could be focused on.
For users like you, who obviously have experience, I would just embrace
the beauty of choice within the open source world and just use what
suits you :-).

--
Merc
zenmerc at comcast.net