Unwanted Nautilus desktop icons & errant Trash

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Tue Nov 25 09:38:10 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 00:19, Timothy Gardner OP wrote:
<snip>

> SECONDLY - a trash problem.  I deleted a file from my samba share
> //fido/gardner and it's now in the wastebasket.  However, when I try to
> delete it I get the error message "Directory busy".  If I umount
> //fido/gardner then the file disappears from the watsebasket.  Is there
> any way I can force a deletion?  (I've tried rm -f).

If you are getting directory busy, the chances are that FAM is
monitoring the directory, and as such it can not be deleted. Terribly
annoying if you ask me.

However give it some time and it should clear up, or you can just kill
the FAM process.

However, I am surprised that you are able to unmount the file system, as
you should run in to the same problem as when emptying the trash (unless
the time it took you to go to a terminal and unmounted it, was enough
time to let fam do what ever it was doing).

Hope this helps.

doug