The Fedora Core release notes suck!

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Tue Nov 25 20:04:31 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 19:44, Edward C. Bailey wrote:

> Felipe> On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 22:54, Edward C. Bailey wrote:
>
> >> o Make it all package based
>
> Felipe> This is the one I prefer:

> >> Cons:
> >>
> >> - Way too many sections with way too little content in each one
>
> Felipe> I don't mind if the document is big: it's a digital document
> and I Felipe> can easily browse/search through it.
>
> That's not really the issue -- the issue is that it become more
> difficult for different kinds of people to find something given this
> kind of structure, particularly if you don't know what package(s) to
> look for.  We need an approach that works well for people that know
> what package they are interested in as well as for people that don't.
                                   Ed

Ed,

I think your intent to provide a meaningful document is admirable.  I do
have to say though that in the past couple of years of subscribing to
various red-hat email lists I can't remember a single instance of
complaint about the release note format.  There may have been one but
it's so rare ....... I can however,  remember countless times that
posters have been criticized for not reading the notes for some problem
that's clearly described there.  One possible conclusion is that you've
done a better job than you're giving yourself credit for.

As I noted earlier I'm a happy camper as long it's an ASCII readable
document I can kick up in "vi" and browse through as I do now.

Regards,  Mike Klinke