Suggestions for people using the mailing lists.

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Wed Nov 26 06:20:25 UTC 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Kevin Francis wrote:

> I don't know why, but I find many duplicate messages in my Inbox AND in
> my fedora-* folders.
>
> It seems some of you are hitting `reply to all' or something like that.
> I hereby suggest to you, that you send ALL ML mail to the ML itself, and
> not to users, unless you have a question for the person, or persons
> involved.

I agree but you are fighting a loosing battle.

> I have to delete email every day, and it's getting tedious as traffic
> grows.

Procmail is your friend. It will kill dupes automagically if you set it up
correctly.

Something like the folloing will do it. This example is in the man page.

:0 Whc: msgid.lock
              | formail -D 8192 msgid.cache

              :0 a:
              duplicates

Be sure to read the man page so that you understand what this does.
An improperly configured procmail can eat large qtys of mail silently
and irretrievably.

man 5 procmailex for details.

Remember if you break it you get to keep all of the pieces.

HTH,