RAID options under Fedora

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 26 15:56:58 UTC 2003

Brian Fahrlander wrote:

>    It sounds like you guys REALLY know this stuff inside out; it might
>be the right place to ask a possibly heretical question:
>
>    Hardware versus Software RAID
>
>    I have a Windows-natured friend who thinks any software raid isn't
>worth the setup...but then, he remembers stacker, and stays with the OS
>that made it a legend. :)
>
>    Meanwhile, I've used simple setups, mostly for longevity and in
>places I'd rather not make a road trip.  It's a small set, and by NO
>means should be construed as an alternative for serious computing, but
>for home/hobbyist work, it's solid.
>
>    But you guys seem to have had the 'runtime' with these systems that
>I haven't. What's your opinion of software RAID (for non-competitive,
>home installations)?

I think the software RAID in Linux is pretty cool.. you just have to
make sure that when you set it up you setup grub on both disks, if you
don't and the primary disk that is used to boot your PC fails you may
have a lot more work to do than you had planed for..

I would say the software RAID built into linux is better than most of
the IDE RAID cards on the market..

All IMO..

Later,,