accessing my windows hard drive

Christophe Le Guern christophe at le-guern.net
Wed Nov 26 16:25:19 UTC 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:23:54 -0700
Paul Penrod <ppenrod at earthlink.net> wrote (in TOP-POSTING, very bad ;o):

> Christopher,
>
> Are you sure about this?

about what ?

> I have NTFS partitions on shared drives and I have to use mount /dev/hda1
> -t ntfs /mnt/windows. If the
> paritions are from Windows 95/98/ME then I can see using vfat, msdos as the
> modifier and having it
> work.

Yes, I have win98 on /dev/hda1.

> Win2K,XP,NT requires the loading of the NTFS driver for RedHat 9.0 (which
> RedHat never provided and SuSE
> and Mandrake do). I have not loaded the NTFS drivers with FC1 yet. The ones
> I have strongly suggest
> that you do not write to the NTFS partitions with them as that code is not
> stable.

Yes, you probably talk about http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/
I never use it, feel free to write a tip if someone use it.
In the FAQ, they say to not write in NTFS partitions.
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html#3.2

For Russ Edwards:
For your problem, you can access your linux partition from Windows (I don't know your version),
I use explore2fs (http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm), it works great for read.
If you only want to backup some files, it's good.

Christophe