accessing my windows hard drive (follow up)

Paul Penrod ppenrod at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 26 16:31:08 UTC 2003

I hit ENTER too soon...

Win NT,2K, and XP all support VFAT as a base file system as well. I don't
know anyone
who runs VFAT outside of Win98, but I am sure there are a few. Anyway, the
msdos and vfat
flags are valid for those mounts as well. Just to clarify.

One caveat. In the past I have attempted to use VFAT under all three of
these OS's in order to
do some testing with very large file manipulation (video editing as one
test) and the results
were spectacularly bad. I lost 3 partitions (NTFS and VFAT) doing simple
things like copy,
multiple writes, etc. I don't recommend using VFAT under these
circumstances as it blows out
like a candle at first wind. Then you get to reload the partition and start
over. NTFS does the
same thing, but less often. YMMV.

...Paul

At 08:23 AM 11/26/2003, Men in grey suits forced Paul Penrod to type: