please recommend sendmail references/books

Steve Hanson shanson at cruiskeen.com
Wed Nov 26 17:15:30 UTC 2003

Don wrote:
> I'm trying to set up sendmail so I can receive e-mail directly, in
> addition to using my isp supplied e-mail.
>
> My biggest concern is that I don't want people on the internet to be
> able to use my smtp server as a means to send mail to people with the
> result making it look like it me... I think that's called "relaying"...
>
> Anyway... can anybody recommend any good books on setting up sendmail?

This really shouldn't be all that difficult.  If all you want to
be able to do is to receive email from outside, what you
basically want to do is go into the m4 config file on your
server, and edit it to allow outside connections.   That would
be /etc/mail/sendmail.mc.  Take the 127.0.0.1 restriction out of
the DAEMON_OPTIONS line.  Use make to rebuild sendmail.cf, and
then restart sendmail.

Relaying will be turned off by default - you really have to try
if you want to allow it.

Now - that may only be the beginning of your email issues - Do
you own a domain name?  Do you have the MX records pointing to
your mail server?  Do you have a static IP or are you on a
dynamically allocated IP address?  But the first stumbling block
will be to get yourself set up to be able to receive email on
your SMTP port if someone actually sends it there.

Oh - and you may need to change your firewall settings on the
box too.