Fedora Core 1 won't boot.

Brian G. Vallelunga Brian at vallelunga.com
Wed Nov 26 21:10:51 UTC 2003

I'm new to Fedora, and Linux in general and need a bit of help. I
installed Fedora, core 1 onto an old Sony Vaio laptop (Z505S). I don't
expect it to run quickly, but I'd like it just to run.

The install went ok. I did it via ftp. However, the machine won't boot.
It begins to boot, but then fails when checking for the floppy (which is
usb and fails if attached or not attached).

The output of the screen is this:
Enabling swap space: [OK]

insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o:
init_module: No such device
insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o:
insmod block-major-2 failed
Yenta IRQ list 0cb8, PCI irq9
Socket status: 30000206

At that point, the screen just sits there. I can get a Caps Lock light
to go
on and off, so it isn't hung, but nothing else happens.

I will never actually need to use the floppy, so how would I go about
disabling it? I can't just disable it in the bios unfortunately. Is
there a remedy to be found here?

Thanks,

Brian