Tuxracer on Fedora - SLOW!

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Thu Nov 27 11:14:46 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 11:09, Tarjei Knapstad wrote:
> No, he means that you haven't installed nVidia's 3D accelerated drivers
> for linux. The ones which comes with XFree86 (which are the ones you're
> currently using) have crap 3D performance.
> See the FAQ: http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/#nVidia

The FAQ should mention why this happens:
  Q: Why are they crappy?
  A: They're not exactly crappy, 2D works quite well.
     NVIDIA is not helpful towards Free Software and will not help
     developers with specifications which would result in 3D drivers

  Q: What do I loose if I choose to be dependent on NVIDIA:
  A: Freedom, support from many Linux developers, probably the ability
to view some DVDs, etc...

All the faq does is explaining how to have 3D with NVIDIA's drivers,
without even hinting at why this happens and how bad it is.

I suggest to add this 2 subquestions.

Rui
+ So let's do it...?