Vmware (was: kde probs)

Jason Montleon monty19 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 27 22:29:33 UTC 2003

>I've got VMWare installed.. and it all *looks* fine.. until you try to use
the sound >device..

    If it's any consolation it works about the same in reverse.  I use
VMware and Virtual PC on Windows, and have done so on many systems. And I
have never gotten the sound aspect to work very well with any.  If I enable
the sound server and event sounds in Gnome on a Virtual Machine under VMware
OR VPC it sounds absolutely horrible.

    I spent about a week once trying to get it to work under VMware to no
avail.  I know that VMware suggested that system speed and so on may have an
impact, but we're talking a 3.2 GHz PC with 1 GB of RAM, on a 10,000 RPM
SATA HDD now and still no go, so I don't buy that anymore...

    I think there must be some hurdle they need to get past to get sound
working in VM's, but I've no idea what it is...  maybe all it takes is a
reasonable sound card; all I ever use is onboard or an SB16 PCI as they work
with every OS under the sun, from Linux, to Windows, to BeOS, to Solaris 8/9
x86... well you get the idea.  Maybe if I ponied up the cash for an Audigy
or something it might work nice, but it's not important enough to me to find
out.

Jason