custom cd loads

fedora fedora at packetstorm.org
Fri Nov 28 00:36:57 UTC 2003

Well the kind of customizations i did with RH8 and 9 were as follows:

1. Create a core load of only the baseline rpms needed to boot and put on
the network.
2. Replace old rpms with new ones, rerun genhdlist to reflect the changes
3. Install the test load on system and run bastille-linux against it,
record the changes and apply them via ks.cfg into the core load.
4. Add extra ks.cfg options from other security sources to complete the
core load hardening.

Now lets say I am making a secondary dns server. I copy the core load
over to another directory, call it sec-dns-load, add the rpms for bind and
snort, update the ks.cfg to reflect the
rpms and have it copy my secondary configs over the default rpm configs.

I rebuild using anaconda and burn the cd. I can now go to any one of our
pcs in the warehouse (since they are all from the same manufacturer and
load spec), insert the cd and have the entire system rebuilt in under 6
minutes. Then I restore from backup any changes made since the last load
update.

Ive done this with dns, sendmail, ftp, web, squid and other server
configurations and its worked great. Plus since its all automagic, any
tech can read my one page procedural document and restore service without
having to page my lazy butt back into work :)

I learned the basic procedure from a Linux Journal by Brett Schwarz and
then added my own procedures into the mix. So what I am looking for is
another baseline doc to build ISOs similar to mr Swarz's so I can begin
rebuilding my loads to reflect the changes made in Fedora.

thanks,

Greg