gpg keys

A.J. Bonnema abonnema at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 28 06:39:22 UTC 2003

Iain Buchanan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just tried to make a pub/priv key pair, and upload the public key to a
> keyserver (http://www.keyserver.net/en/).  However the keyserver kept on
> saying 'invalid key'.  I relised the reason was I had an old key on the
> server from ages ago, for which I don't have the private key anymore.
> As I understand it, I can't make a revocation certificate for it because
> I don't have the private key, and I didn't make a revoke license, so is
> there any other way to 'delete' the old key from the keyserver?
>
> TIA,

On the kerserver.net "about this server" details what to do if you lose
your private key: you should disable your key instead. This will take
some time to get to the other keyservers, but it's the next best thing.

I'd give you a link, but the link's always
'http://www.keyserver.net/en/', so you'll have to go there and press
'about this server'.

Remark: it also says in the future this may not work any more.

I have the reverse problem. I made a revoke file when I created the key,
but I have no idea how revoke the key on the server, so I asked the
webmaster how to do this.

Guus.
--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,