HP ScanJet 5100c

didierbe at sps.nus.edu.sg didierbe at sps.nus.edu.sg
Fri Nov 28 10:45:33 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 01:47:04PM -0600, William Penton wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I have a parallel port HP ScanJet 5100c.  Fedora doesn't recognize it is
> even hooked up.  Is there anyone that can help me figure out what to do
> to make this thing work?

For this model, you're out of luck. I have this model too and normally
you require some sort of a kernel patch called a ppscsi patch to do that
located a long time ago at:

http://people.redhat.com/twaugh/parport/

But the developer himself, Tim Waugh, told me that he no longer
maintains this patch for the present kernel 2.4x.

If you're using Debian then you can find a dude
still maintaining it but for RH/FC, forget it unless you want to do it
yourself or you can find a maintainer. Do not attempt to recompile your kernel based on the old
patch. I tried to and it was a mess!

This mail is to prevent you from losing your time with trying to
troubleshoot this scanner and find solutions. Practical Solution: buy a usb scanner
instead!

If you're not convinced, read below:

I have not been maintaining this patch for a long time now.  I tried to
find someone to take over maintainership of it:

http://www.torque.net/parport/archive/current/4134.html
http://www.torque.net/parport/archive/current/4276.html
http://www.torque.net/parport/archive/current/4333.html
http://www.torque.net/parport/archive/current/4526.html
http://www.torque.net/parport/archive/current/4582.html
http://www.torque.net/parport/archive/current/4764.html

but no-one stepped up.  However, someone does seem to be having a stab
at it now:

http://packages.debian.org/stable/devel/kernel-patch-ppscsi-2.4.html

Do not ask me questions about ppSCSI!

Tim.
*/

With kind regards,

Didier

---
PhD student

Singapore Synchrotron Light Source (SSLS)
5 Research Link,
Singapore 117603

Email: slsbdfc at nus dot edu dot sg \or\
didierbe at sps dot nus dot edu dot sg
Website: http://ssls.nus.edu.sg