Problem deactivating eth0 and lo

Thomas A. Lanari talanari at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 28 08:52:28 UTC 2003

I have exhausted all of the resources I am aware of trying to find a fix
or workaround for this problem.

Problem:

When I attempt to shut down or reboot FC1, it hangs when it reaches
"Shutting down interface eth0"

Details:

- If I do not activate the network card on boot, redhat-config-network
just sits at "Activating network device eth0, please wait..." when I
attempt to activate the network card when logged in. (The program does
not freeze: I can press "Cancel.")

- The same problem occurs when attempting to deactivate eth0 while
logged in.

- If I do not activate the network card on boot, FC1 hangs when it
reaches "Shutting down loopback interface."

- The problem occurs when rebooting or shutting down from either the gdm
screen (after logging out) or from the gnome panel.

- The problem does NOT occur if I do NOT login to gnome.  This includes
just logging in to a console (Ctrl+Alt+F1).

- The problem did NOT occur when I had Redhat 9 installed.  (This is a
clean install of Fedora Core 1, not an upgrade install.)

- If I activate the NIC on bootup and login, it does work.

- The computer is a HP zd7020 laptop with a RealTek 8139 NIC: dmesg
reveals:
  8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.26
  divert: allocating divert_blk for eth0
  eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0xf9d25800, <MAC Address is
     here>, IRQ 4
  eth0: Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8101'
  divert: freeing divert_blk for eth0
  8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.26
  divert: allocating divert_blk for eth0
  eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0xf9d25800, <MAC Address is
     here>, IRQ 4
  eth0: Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8101'

- The current boot command I am using is:
  kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
     acpi=on ide=nodma rhgb

- I have tried acpi=off, pci=noacpi, noapic, and not using rhgb

- I have tried removing S05kudzu from /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/

- If I "ping <myStaticIPAddress>" or "ping 127.0.0.1", it does work.

- I would be happy to provide further details.

I would appreciate any advice or recommendations that anyone might have.
--

Thank you for your time and help,
Tom Lanari