disappearing modem on Digital PC 5400

A.J. Bonnema abonnema at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 30 02:00:16 UTC 2003

James Jones wrote:
> Fedora installation apparently detected it, because when I did the
> reboot after the install, the screen showing the details of booting came
> up and said that I'd removed a "generic serial modem," and did I want to
> remove the configuration? I said yes. I have no reason to doubt that it
> did so, but firing up the Hardware Browser shows that it sees a "Zoom
> V90 Internal Faxmodem Unknown".

Hi James,

I assume Kudzu asked you to remove the drive. No problem, this is only
some kind of bug in Kudzu. Just install the modem using Internet
Configuration Wizard in System Tools. You can just use the modem after
that. By the way, its better not to answer yes to the Kudzu question or
you'll have to install /dev/modem (I think that's all Kudzu does for you).

Anyway, I'm not sure, but maybe the Internet Configuration Wizard does
this for, try it.

Have fun.

Guus.
--