RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

Dennis Kaptain dkaptain at comcast.net
Sun Nov 30 22:33:57 UTC 2003

I'm a long time RHL user and I just installed fedora.
I have a cable modem connected to eth0 which uses dhcp.
eth1 (static 192.168.1.1) goes to a hub and then 2 other
computers 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3

I can connect anywhere on the net using eth0 (including this list thank God!).
I can ping eth1 OK.
ping the other 2 PC's says "icmp_seq=0 Destination Host Unreachable"
the other PC's pinging me have same result.

service network start  :reports no errors.
ifup eth1 reports: "RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument"
I have narrowed that down to
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-routes
line 33
handle_file $file $1
put an echo in and $file is "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-eth1"
and $1 is "eth1"
the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-eth1
[root at zozo network-scripts]# cat route-eth1
GATEWAY0=192.168.1.1
NETMASK0=255.255.255.0
ADDRESS0=192.168.1.3

I don't know what the ADDRESS0 item but it doesn't look right,
I changed it to 192.168.1.1 and that didn't help.

What do these values in route-eth1 need to be?
What else can I look for?
I already verified that it is not a firewall issue.

BTW: all this worked before the re-install.

Thanks.
Dennis