Fedora and the System Administrator -- are my assumptions on SuSE incorrect?

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Fri Oct 3 00:55:08 UTC 2003

Buck wrote:
> According to the SuSE rep, the Professional, Pro Upgrade and Personal
> CD-ROMs may be copied and distributed as long as there is no profit
> involved.  That was this afternoon while I have been addressing these
> questions.

Maybe...you should take what the Suse sales rep has told you...with a
grain of salt...and i think you need seriously come to come to gripes
with the fact that Fedora is going to be about the best options for a
better brighter freer future.

Take a deep breath...you are not going to like this lecture one bit. I
sort of actually feel bad about what I'm about to do in this post.

Yes or no....is everything on the cd Suse is selling opensource?
Are their 3rd party proprietary products on that cd?
Do you know specifically what the licensing conditions on those 3rd
party packages are? Does the Suse sales rep? And it also might depend
exactly on what suse product you are getting is.

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/suse-product-strategy
quoting footnote 4 and 5:

[4] List of packages:
http://www.suse.de/us/private/products/suse_linux/i386/packages_personal/index_all.html
Regrettably, SuSE Linux AG doesn't make it easy to figure out what
specific licensing terms pertain to each package, but, in theory, this
list of all included packages would be one starting point in gleaning
that information.

As of SuSE Linux 8.2, packages that are not licensed for public
redistribution include (at a minimum):

Adobe Acroread
Moneyplex
Opera Web browser
Real Networks RealPlayer8

[5] List of packages:
http://www.suse.de/us/private/products/suse_linux/i386/packages_professional/index_all.html

As of SuSE Linux 8.2, packages that are not licensed for public
redistribution include (at a minimum):

Adobe Acroread
Moneyplex
OpenPBS
Opera Web browser
Real Networks RealPlayer8

<--END QUOTE-->

Might I add that Opera seems to require you to REGISTER and AGREE to
their distribution terms of their free browser....have fun with with
that. http://distribute.opera.com/distribution/

to quote Opera's FREE download 7.11 version EULA:

The Software is protected by Norwegian and United States copyright laws
and international treaties. You may make one copy of the Software solely
for backup or archival purposes or transfer it to a single hard disk
provided you keep the original disk solely for backup or archival
purposes. You may not rent or lease the Software or copy any written
materials accompanying the Software, but you may transfer the Software
and all accompanying materials on a
permanent basis, if you retain no copies and the recipient agrees to the
terms of this Agreement. Any transfer must include the most recent
update and all prior versions.

-jef"sure you CAN distribute opera for free..under certain conditions
that are subject to change..including registering with them before you
do it...better make SURE you know under what conditions Opera allows you
to...and for god sakes...slap the crap out of that Suse salesperson for
being SOOOOOO misleading"spaleta