Fedora and the System Administrator

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 01:39:18 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 20:34, Miguel M wrote:
> Erik Williamson wrote 2003-10-02
>
> >I inquired about what would happen if one was to (after one year) simply
> >get the SRPMS that are released as updates, compile and redistribute to
> >existing machines... but that's a no-no.
>
> And what would happen if (after one year) one downloads
> the update SRPMS to existing machines and compiles
> independently the same packages in everyone of them?

I've been staying out of this one, but I will clear this up. You're free
to do whatever you want with the SRPMS. Distributing the binary updates
that Red Hat delivers for RHEL is a no-no, but you can make your own
binaries from the SRPMS and build a pirate ship out of them if it makes
you happy.

We don't have to do this (SuSE doesn't do this for SLES). We're just
that nice. :)

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> LCA, RHCE
Red Hat Sales Engineer || Aurora SPARC Linux Project Leader

"The author's mathematical treatment of the conception of purpose is
novel and highly ingenious, but heretical and, so far as the present
social order is concerned, dangerous and potentially subversive. Not to
be published." -- Aldous Huxley