Fedora and the System Administrator

Bill Anderson bill at noreboots.com
Fri Oct 3 01:43:13 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 19:34, Miguel M wrote:
> Erik Williamson wrote 2003-10-02
>
> >I inquired about what would happen if one was to (after one year) simply
> >get the SRPMS that are released as updates, compile and redistribute to
> >existing machines... but that's a no-no.
>
> And what would happen if (after one year) one downloads
> the update SRPMS to existing machines and compiles
> independently the same packages in everyone of them?

It doesn't matter either way. The SRPMS are covered by the GPL. The
SRPMS are available on the ftpsite. The RHN/Service you pay for is
support service and access to *binaries* of the updates. There is
nothing RH can do if you download a SRPM of a GPLed program and then put
it on other machines, built or not.

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773