Fedora and the System Administrator -- "have" -> "had"

Paul Gear paul at gear.dyndns.org
Fri Oct 3 13:06:50 UTC 2003

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 07:41, Paul Gear wrote:
>
>>That's not what they claim.  At http://fedora.redhat.com/about/rhel.html
>>they claim Fedora is for "Early adopters, enthusiasts, developers".  The
>>rest of their products (WS, ES, AS) are for business.  There is no
>>"consumer" product.
>

> Okay, change my "have" to "had" and I am now correct.  Red Hat _used_ to
> refer to the RHL series as "consumer."
>
> Fedora is no longer "consumer" like RHL was.  I stand corrected.
>
> We now have "Fedora" and "enterprise" : "ethusiast" and "business"

And that's the whole problem, isn't it?  :-)  Some of us need more than
"enthusiast", but less than "enterprise"...

I really don't understand why Red Hat couldn't just dump the "boxed set,
store shelf" part of the "consumer" distro and still do everything as
before.  That would cut back most of the costs associated with the
retail channel, yet allow us to keep using a reasonably well-supported OS.

Surely producing a CD-ROM distribution available by subscription only
and charging a low-to-medium amount of money for RHN basic wouldn't be
that much of a money sink...
--
Paul
http://paulgear.webhop.net