Fedora and the System Administrator -- "have" -> "had"

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Oct 3 13:57:14 UTC 2003

Quoting Paul Gear <paul at gear.dyndns.org>:
> And that's the whole problem, isn't it?  :-)  Some of us need more
> than "enthusiast", but less than "enterprise"...
> I really don't understand why Red Hat couldn't just dump the "boxed
> set, store shelf" part of the "consumer" distro and still do everything as
> before.  That would cut back most of the costs associated with the
> retail channel, yet allow us to keep using a reasonably well-supported
> OS.

I think that's what they may be doing.  But they can't just come right out and
say that.  It's all about support.  What they ship, they have to support (even
if it's not a law, nor followed by many Linux distributors, but a Red Hat
distro motto ;-)

In every case I have played "wait and see" with Red Hat, I have _always_ been
pleasantly surprised.  I hope Fedora does as well.  It's in Red Hat's own
interest to do so.

I see Bob Young speak on business, not much different than Bill Gates, but
unlike Bill Gates, he doesn't screw his own developers.  I then see Red Hat's
developers and technologists implement a 100% community-focused feature and
package set.  I'm biased, but I really like Red Hat for the balancing act they
are able to come off with.

> Surely producing a CD-ROM distribution available by subscription only
> and charging a low-to-medium amount of money for RHN basic wouldn't be
> that much of a money sink...

I think we'll see a lot of "repositories" crop up.  I chaulk this all up to
internal Red Hat developers and technologies proving to the management that the
community can better support distribution than RHN.

> A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.
> Q: Why should i start my reply below the quoted text?

I love it when someone new to a LUG (obviously using Outlook) complained about
my ettique of bottom posting and cutting out irrelevant quotes in my response.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.  mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org  http://thebs.org
There is no greater ignorance than the popular American environ-