RedHat SRPMS

Bill Anderson bill at noreboots.com
Fri Oct 3 22:48:19 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 16:42, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On 03 Oct 2003 15:08:20 -0600, Bill Anderson wrote:

> > > Unless you ship only the binaries, in which case they must accompany a
> > > written offer to provide the sources to any third party.
> >
> > Cite please.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatDoesWrittenOfferValid

That is not in accordance with what was claimed. Note that the reference
indicates parties who received a copy of the work. If I ship you a
binary, and you give that binary to George, George has the rights
because they go with the distribution. However, Joe, who does not have a
copy, has no rights to the source. Period. Read it.

Speciifcally the last sentence:
"The reason we require the offer to be valid for any third party is so
that people who receive the binaries indirectly in that way can order
the source code from you."

Note, again, that is is only for those with the binaries. Why? becuase
the offer for source is transferred with the binaries. So, again, RH is
only required to provide the source to those with binaries. Further, an
offer for source is only one option. If you distribute source with the
binaries *AS REDHAT DOES*, then there is no offer to be transferred,
Indeed, at that point whomever distributed the binaries only is the
responsible party for providing sources.

The devil is in the details, folks.

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773