fedora versus fedora test

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Sat Oct 11 11:38:25 UTC 2003

Mike A. Harris wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Robin Green wrote:
>

>>(Although, admittedly, the Fedora model is to try and make changes
>>upstream only as much as posssible, for most packages. I suspect that
>>

>I don't really see how that is any different than we do now
>though.  For example, I'm not going to not fix bugs in XFree86
>because XFree86.org hasn't checked a patch into CVS.  It could
>take 8-12 months for that to happen.  Right now my XFree86 rpms
>have over 120 patches in them, and future builds will have more
>and more.  If it didn't then what would be my job for example?
>
>We don't really control upstream projects much, all we can do is
>make sure to send our fixes and whatnot upstream.  But we
>certainly should never wait until upstream projects apply our
>fixes and release new versions of their software in order to ship
>it.  That is just silly and needless lag.  The distro would never
>be stable and/or would never ship.
>
>Patches are and always will be needed to fix bugs.

And therein lies an essential role in providing a good distro - people who contribute to the stabilization of all the constituent parts, and the timely revision of relevant patch sets to produce viable packages as upstream changes occur.

A tip of the fedora to all of you maintainers who make quality releases possible.  ;)

--
Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021