acpi - battery monitor

Joshua Legbandt jtlegbandt at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 13 07:40:14 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 14:30, Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
> Sean Middleditch wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 17:02, John Pantone wrote:
> >

> >>I installed Fedora Core (test) using the acpi=on option (and the
> >>resolution=1400x1050 option). Works fine, but has only the most minimalistic
> >>acpi support - not even battery status. Am I missing something, or is this
> >>support just not yet in the supplied kernel?
> >>

> >It's not in the kernel; ACPI is just used for device enumeration.  I'm
> >not personally sure why they did this, but the reasons can probably eb
> >found in the list archives and/or the website.
> >
> >You can grab the source RPMs and rebuild with ACPI (perhaps even with a
> >new ACPI patch); this is what I've done for my laptop, and it works
> >wonderfully.
> >

> Actually I think acpi kernel support is there (at least it was in
> 2.4.22-1.2061.nptl kernel), but some of it is modular, not monolithic.
>  You already have the acpi=on boot option necessary to enable acpi.  So
> you may just need to encourage loading of the right additional modules.
>
> On a Compaq 2140us with 2.4.22-1.2061.nptl kernel I found that the
> necessary modules for battery and cpu and thermal management were not
> loaded automatically.  Try:
>     modprobe battery
>     modprobe ac
>     modprobe thermal
>
> If those work for you too, then you just need to make loading them
> automatic at next boot.  In my case lsmod showed that button.o was
> automatically loaded (another acpi feature related module) so I just
> added the following line to /etc/modules.conf:
>     add above button battery ac thermal
> This causes the loading of button.o at boot to load battery, ac, thermal
> (and thermal requires thus loads cpu) after it.  Which accomplishes
> exactly what I wanted.

Covered on the fedora-test-list :) The best way is to add the following
to your rc.local:
# turn on acpi subsystems
# contributed by Bill Nottingham in a post to
# fedora-test-list at redhat.com on Mon, 29 Sep 2003
if [ -d /proc/acpi ]; then
  for module in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/acpi/* ; do
    insmod $module
  done
fi

--