Fedora kernel philosophy question. was: kernel question

Justin M. Forbes 64bit_fedora at comcast.net
Mon Oct 13 13:46:19 UTC 2003

The Fedora kernel is patched, but I wouldnt call it too far off, most of
the patches are semi mainline, 0(1) scheduler, nptl, etc.  The AC patches
are generally there.  Typically the Red Hat kernels are patched with these
enhancements that have been tested fairly well, and are expected to
appear in a future kernel.org kernel.  2.6 will drop in fairly well on
Fedora.  Generally with Red Hat's patches, they will not effect userland
significantly unless they are already close to a future mainline kernel
(2.6 as of late).

Justin