Okay - Gripe time

Dan Goodes dang at planetmirror.com
Tue Oct 14 05:30:57 UTC 2003

I thought - great, new fedora release, let's look at the release notes to
see what's in store.

WHOA!!! perfect!!! built-in ACPI support!!! no more rebuilding custom
kernels to handle power management and so on... right? WRONG!!!

*sigh* it's only going to be used for device enumeration, not power
management and so on.

I have a fairly new, low-end Compaq notebook that only has an ACPI
subsystem, no APM. So in order to get power management and various other
little tricks (specifically changing the display brightness and
auto-switching between the touchpad and the PS/2 mouse), i had to compile
up a custom kernel, patched with ACPI support.

Please please please please please can we try to get power management and
stuff into the ACPI support before Fedora Core 9.1 (or 10, or are they
numbering the releases from 1 again?). Everything else about this release
has me excited - but I probably wont be upgrading my notebook until this
is sorted.

Oh and one more thing - someone plese wave a wand and get 2D/3D
accelerated support for the Radeon Mobility U1 (IGP 320M) into the kernel
and auto-detecting at install :-) Now *that* would be sweet.