Are there any scripts to generate an updated Kickstart image?

Hans Deragon hans at deragon.biz
Tue Oct 14 17:22:51 UTC 2003

Arindam Dey wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 00:32, Hans Deragon wrote:
>
>>Charles Curley wrote:

>>>To update a collection of RPMs, try AutoUpdate.
>>>

>>This is not what I am looking for.  I do not want the original RPMs to be
>>installed and then upgraded.  I want the latest official RPMs to be installed
>>upstart, thus avoiding solutions like AutoUpdate, apt-get and Yum.  This is to
>>reduce the time required to install a PC.
>

> You could try creating and updates(check name not sure) directory in the
> root of the installation tree where you have copied the remaining stuff.
> Anaconda then automatically picks up the newer rpms for installation
> ignoring the older versions present in the RedHat/RPMS directory. I know
> this can be done in this fashion but have forgotten the exact dir name
> or its location in the dir tree. You could get more information
> searching the anaconda-devel-list archive. This has been discussed there
> quite a few times if I am not mistaken.
>
> Hope this is what you were looking for....

Mmm... Following my tests, Anaconda does not automatically pick up the newer
rpms.  Check this out:

# strings hdlist2 | fgrep xinetd-
xinetd-2.3.10
/usr/share/doc/xinetd-2.3.10/
xinetd-2.3.11
/usr/share/doc/xinetd-2.3.11/

# strings hdlist | fgrep xinetd-
xinetd-2.3.10-6.src.rpm
xinetd-2.3.10-6.i386.rpm
xinetd-2.3.11-1.9.0.src.rpm
xinetd-2.3.11-1.9.0.i386.rpm

So the hdlist* files have both rpms but the one being installed is the first
one, i.e. xinetd-2.3.10 which is not the newest one. :(

I will write a script to generate the kickstart image directory, in Python.

Best regards,
Hans Deragon
--
Consultant en informatique/Software Consultant
Deragon Informatique inc.         Open source: