OpenGroupware? -- how is it "crippled" at the server???

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Oct 15 13:58:07 UTC 2003

Quoting Maarten Stolte <maarten.stolte at papuaos.org>:
> would not be a good reason, since afaik, it is useable without it for
> non-outlook users.
> I do think its a weird sort of opensource, seems rather crippled, on
> both client- and server-side.

Huh?  I didn't see that "crippling" at all.  It seems to be a full-up, XML-RPC,
WebDAV, HTTP collaboration server.  What do you see is "crippled" on the server?

They _only_ charge for the 100% client-side MAPI client.  When do you need
such?  _Only_ when your client is Windows, and _only_ when it is running
Outlook.

Understand this isn't merely a "we charge for Windows" view.  It's a "we charge
for Microsoft" view.  You _can_ use _other_ Windows clients for both WebDAV/XML-
RPC/HTTP access to its collaboration and server-side storage solutions (e.g.,
Mozilla).

> I'd advice to look at Kolab if such a server is to go in; it is much
> more open, has closed and open clients,

Again, I'm confused.   I see OpenGroupware fitting the same bill.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.  mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org  http://thebs.org
[NT-based] Windows itself has never been the primary issue with