CNET News Article

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 22 20:34:35 UTC 2003

Jeff Lasman said:
> On Wednesday 22 October 2003 11:29, William Hooper wrote:
>
>> Then you need either a) a team of coders to backport security fixes
>> to the versions of the software you want to use or b) buy RHEL and
>> rent Red Hat's team of coders to backport security fixes.
>
> No, what I need is an operating system from a vendor who understands
> that server life needs to be more than a year.

Which is why RHEL was created.

>> Have you bothered to talk to RH sales at all?  IIRC there was someone
>> that posted about a quote for their .edu that ended up being
>> ~$50/seat for 100 seats.  That is less than the subscription to RHN.
>
> Yes.  I talked to RH sales.  An .edu gets a completely different price
> scale.

So you are telling me that you would get absolutely no discount on volume
purchases?

> And servers don't get "per seat" licenses.

Microsoft has corrupted the phrase.  Replace "per seat" with "per
machine".  Another point to bring up is what RHEL you would need.  You do
know that RHWS includes Apache, right?

--
William Hooper