nvidia thoughts

Steve Withers swithers at mmp.org.nz
Thu Oct 23 19:04:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 05:56, Niels Weber wrote:

> I have never ever been abe to install any redhat graphically with a
> geforce card (tried geforce 2 mx, geforce 2 go, geforce 4 ti 4200,
> different monitors, different computers, btw: a tnt2 worked without
> problems), neither 8.0 nor 9 nor fedora.

This must be an issue with the video card / monitor frequencies.

I have been able to X installs on RH7.3, 8.0 and 9.0 with my GF2-MX400,
GF4-MX420,MX440 and my TI4200. I have several Pcs and all these cards
are in active use with a variety of monitors: Philips 105s and 107s,
Viewsonic E70 and a Leo 17" of unknown model number.

Your experience is not one I have shared.

The only thing the downloaded drivers allow me to do that i could not
otherwise do is play 3D games (which i do a fair amount of, so I always
install the nVidia binaries).

I have bought only one ATI card (Radeon 9000) because, for a long time,
ATI did not support the advanced 3D functionality on Linux for their
video cards.....but nVidia's support has been very good, the cards fast
and the game playing up to expectations.  :-)

--
Steve Withers <swithers at mmp.org.nz>