CUPS Nightmare

Aaron Konstam akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Oct 28 15:54:58 UTC 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:37:12AM -0600, Len Goldenstein wrote:
> Try using a queue name of "auto" on internal jetdirect printers.
>
> Len
>

> > Because HP printers have a built in JetDirect interface and its queue
> > name is supposed to be raw. This works if the interface is external but
> > if it is internal I get similar errors unless I name the queue
> > something other than raw.

Ok maybe you can clear this up for me. The printer is named portia.
If I choose: Networked Unix (LPD) queue type the queue name raw seems
to work but nothing prints, the queue name portia prints, the queue
name auto gets the following error: There was a problem sending US
Letter PostScript test page
to 'portia' queue:

lpr: unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable

If I use Networked CUPS (IPP) the queue name comes up as
/printers/queue1 and I have no idea what to put there. Can you tell me?

Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.