mp3 help...

Chris Spencer cspencer at cait.org
Tue Oct 28 22:44:23 UTC 2003

> I'm kindof surprised how so many people who are NOT lawyers seem
> to think they know more about worldwide intellectual property law
> than a team of REAL lawyers.

If it is at all questionable then it should be excluded from the
distribution.  Everyone wants to take a bite out of Linux.  It can't
succeed if it is encumbered by patents.  I applaud Red Hat for making
the correct decision of distancing itself from litigation.

Moreover....if you are choosing a Linux distribution that includes MP3
support LOOK OUT.  Even an unsuccessful lawsuit is costly.  I doubt if
your Linux distribution would survive a successful one.

Besides all this OGG is every bit as good.  Who cares if it isn't the
first thing on the market.  It's open and free.  It's the right choice.

Again...way to go Red Hat...

-Chris

"Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of
all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily
defeat us." - Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas