ATI RADEON 9600

Ryan J Zygar ryan at zygar.com
Thu Oct 30 05:52:02 UTC 2003

Just to Follow Up.
Today made a comment about NOT being able to use Fedora "out of the box"
 > RE: transition from red hat 9 to fedora
Having to install the drivers from ATI's website.
Not having to rpm -e --nodeps XFree86-Mesa-libGLU and install the the
driver from ATI's website. Well I am very impressed with Mike Harris
work on XFree86 and not watching DVD's on Saturday or Sunday. If you
had a paypal account I would buy you a BEER.

So today I did all the updates. Then made sure that I installed all the
XFree86 packages that I needed. And I have them all. I then removed the
ATI that I had installed.

rpm -e --nodeps fglrx-glc22 to remove the old .rpm from ATI's website
http://ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html

I reinstalled the .rpm's that I had downloaded the XFree86 files that I
was missing, the Mesa*.rpms, I unistalled per ATI's README.  I was
using my Redhat modified kernel that I rebuilt to enable NTFS support
for my work files. I JUST COPIED THE MAKEFILE FROM /boot TO .config
/usr/src/linux* THEN WOULD make xconfig AND ENABLE NTFS.  THAT IS ALL I
WOULD EDIT/CHANGE FOR NOW. The makefile would always rename it .custom
so when I would make modules make modules_install it would not change
the existing modules build.

I BACK UP XFCONFIG-4 AND ERASE XFCONFIG-4

So when I rebooted today into the newest kernel, I got a prompt to
config my Radeon card I enable it that is the prompt. Then on to XFree
and so I chose the Video Card Radeon 9600 and the Monitor Viewsonic
PF790 and Video Setting 1280X1024. It continues to GREAT fedora login.
I login and as Gnome starts to load _CRASH_ the machine just hangs.

REBOOT

I go back through load all the kernels that I have the default kernel
that have been through Fedora core I have kept around just out of
laziness. So I load up the old default I believe foo.2110.nptl

Login screen login/password Gnome starts loading.... STOP! It hangs
mouse is dead machine is dead no CNTRL-ALT-DEL either. HUNG.

REBOOT

Load back in and CNTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE 6 times to break out of the GDM.
Console is just fine. PROMPTED that X will restart in 2 minutes. I
delete XFConfig to buy sometime. Crazy enough it doesn't detect the
card. Used a VESA driver edited the PROMPTS from redhat-config-xfree
(KILLER APP BTW) Select Radeon 9600 and Viewsonic PF790 and it writes
the file /etc/X11/XFconfig of course and restarts X (GREAT JOB REDHAT).
Login and start up as soon as the Gnome Dialog comes up no Icons stream
across and HUNG!

REBOOT

No matter what I try I cannot get it to work this way.

So here is what I have tried:

insmod radeon
insmod radeonfb

The VESA driver works fine and I can use that but then I have 800x600
display and like 50HZ of refresh. So you know that I didn't buy the
card for that :-)

What on earth can this be I wonder? My machine is broken.

I figure remove the MESA* stuff reload the glrx-glc22*rpm from ATI and
just try again.

SYSTEM:
MB: ASUS A7N8X - Recent Bios Updates
RAM: 512MB DDR (2x256)