Crossover Office 2.1

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Fri Oct 31 07:56:32 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 09:31:07PM -0600, Gerry Tool wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 20:34, ne... wrote:
> > On Oct 30, 2003 at 19:50, Gerry Tool in a soothing rage wrote:
> > [...]
> > >$ /usr/sbin/chstk -e ~/cxoffice/bin/wineloader
> > >==============================
> > >
> > >I do not have a program called /usr/sbin/chstk, and suspect this is not
> > >the solution anyway.
> > The kernel-utils-2.4-8.31 rpm provided this. I note it is not
> > in the kernel-utils-2.4-9.1.101.fedora rpm does not provide it.
> > You may have to downgrade.
>
> Thanks for your reply.  I did as you suggested and then executed the
> command
>
> [root at gstpc severn]# /usr/sbin/chstk -e /opt/cxoffice/bin/wineloader

FYI, for Fedora Core 1, there is no chstk utility any more, but
execstack(8) (included in prelink package), as the marking is very different
from what it used to be (it is now in PT_GNU_STACK program header entry's
p_flags).
But note that there are 2 major separate things the execshield patch
does:
a) making stack non-executable for apps (and all their libraries) which don't
   need it
b) mmap randomization (mmap (NULL, ...) returns without MAP_FIXED are randomized,
   if non-executable stack then PROT_EXEC mappings are assigned preferrably
   from ASCII shield area or the rest of address space below executable)

Depends what cxoffice has problems with.  As it hasn't been likely compiled
on FC1 (or RHEL3), it should not have PT_GNU_STACK segment and thus default
to executable stack.  So most probably this is about randomization, which
can be ATM turned off with running the program with setarch -3 program arguments

	Jakub