Red Hat 8.2 - Enabling Backing store

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at
Thu Sep 4 04:24:18 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 16:26, Fred Bartholomai wrote:

> We are currently porting our system from HP-UX to Linux red hat 8.2.
> It is going very well.

Hmmm. That's interesting. Need to let us know how you managed to upgrade
to a non-existent OS. :)

> One question: How do we enable backing store for use with X Windows,
> or rather
> The XFree86 binary. I’ve seen plenty of documentation but it doesn’t
> really tell me how
> To enable it.

I believe you add '+bs' to the end of the /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file, so
it looks something like:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X +bs

I haven't actually tried it, mind you.

> Any help or pointers would really help.

Google is my ally, and a powerful ally it is!

Chris Kloiber
Red Hat, Inc.