Can I use the build files after the system is up?

George Anzinger george at mvista.com
Wed Sep 17 23:11:42 UTC 2003

Paul Pianta wrote:
> George Anzinger wrote:
>
>> I am running 8.0
>>
>> System is up and running, I want to add open office.
>>
>> All the rpm files are on the hard drive as files (not CD images).
>

> try this out but your gonna have to get your hands dirty on the command
> line ...
> (all commands to type will be in bold - comments start with a #)
> *su
> *#type in password for root user on machine ...
> #cd to the directory that your openoffice files are in ...
> *rpm -Uvh <name of openoffice file that finishes with the extension
> .rpm>* #(without the < *>)*
> #this command will tell you what it is doing as it installs the rpm
> (same thing as the gui but with more details)

The problem is that there are about a dozen or so dependencies that
need to be loaded/ installed also.  Using this method, I would need to
track each of those down and install them, and they don't have names
that match the *.rpm names.

> if all went well - openoffice should be installed and it should have
> been added to your menus. If not you can launch the wordprocessor by
> typing *swriter* in a console and it should start up.
>
> p.s. - not sure this is the right place to post for newbie questions - i
> thought this list was for the new rhl beta stuff?

mailing list description is a bit fuzzy...

George Anzinger   george at mvista.com
High-res-timers:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/high-res-timers/