Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Mon Sep 22 17:12:27 UTC 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 12:53:29PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> This table attempts to summarize the difference between our operating
> system products and the Fedora Project:
> http://fedora.redhat.com/about/rhel.html
>
> Red Hat will be doing a lot of development and other work on the Fedora
> Project, but it's not a product that you can buy from us. We're working
> on the Fedora Project in the same way that we work on other projects
> such as Mozilla or the Linux kernel.

Well, I can't read this different from "Red Hat stops delivering a
freely available Linux distribution", which I consider bad news :-(.

Related to "freely available": it's not completely clear what the
"Licensing: open source" and the "Downloads: source only, or ..."
in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux column on the above referred page
*exactly* means w.r.t. what people/companies outside Red Hat may
or mayt not do with it.  I guess I have to read the trademark-related
pages at the Red Hat site for that?

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>