Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction

MJang michael at ywow.org
Mon Sep 22 17:35:11 UTC 2003

Dear Havoc,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Havoc Pennington" <hp at redhat.com>
> There is no Red Hat Linux 10. There's the Fedora Project, with Fedora
> Core that contains a base Linux distribution; this is an open source
> project. Then there is Red Hat Enterprise Linux which is a product of
> Red Hat, Inc. RHEL  has various versions (WS, ES, AS) for different
> applications.

If I'm hearing you correctly, Red Hat is no longer going to release a Linux distribution every (approx) 6 months. Red Hat will be a
part of the Fedora project that will take over this function. And the Fedora project is sponsored as a separate organization under
the Red Hat umbrella.

(I hope Warren is getting a good dot.com amount of money for this ;))

Based on http://fedora.redhat.com/, it looks like Red Hat will test - some - software for future versions of RHEL in the Fedora
project. But other software for RHEL is likely to come from other sources.

Thanks,
Mike Jang