Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 23:37:09 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 17:15, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> Red Hat doesn't have to do a Fedora Core. We could focus all our efforts
> on RHEL and tell everyone who doesn't want to pay us $$$ to stop
> bothering us. We are doing a Fedora Core. We're trying to make the
> developers and the open source community happy. We're trying to give
> them a chance to make a really good Linux distribution in the spirit and
> style of Red Hat Linux.

I'd add to this, while the Fedora Project is something I hope
non-Red-Hat people are excited about, it's not purely an effort to make
people happy. It's intended to be a worthwhile project for Red Hat, for
all its contributors, and for the target audience.

The Fedora Project and also our architecture announcement today
(http://www.redhat.com/software/architecture/) reflect a belief in the
value of the open source approach.

Havoc