Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Wed Sep 24 02:09:12 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 19:09, Jeremy Dreese wrote:
> > And undoubtedly, this is going to piss off a lot of people who were
> > quite happily taking advantage of Red Hat Linux with 3 years of errata
> > without paying a cent. We can't do that anymore. It's too expensive,
> > we'd cease to exist. Fedora Core is the compromise. We spent a long time
> > trying to make the most people happy, we listened to all the complaints
> > (yes, even the most irrational ones), and we came up with the best
> > option we could.
> I agree that people who expect to get software (and updates) from RedHat forever
> and not pay anything have little room to complain.  RedHat is a company that
> needs to make money; otherwise, there won't even be a company.  However, I do
> believe that RedHat is neglecting a very important market by not focusing some
> attention on edus.  I understand that Fedora Core is perhaps an attempt to help
> this group, and we'll have to wait and see if that addresses the edu needs.  But
> I know that there are some universities who are very willing to pay RedHat for
> software/support/updates but simply can't afford the price "bar" that has been
> set.  Most companies have educational pricing because they understand the value

I would love to meet them. All I ever dealt with promised money but just
kept taking the downloads saying that 100.00, no 70.00, no 50.00, no
20.00 was too much. I felt like the Monty Python skit where you go in
and nothing is for sale, just someone there to waste your time.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645 (note new #)