Fedora Questions

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Fri Sep 26 18:29:46 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 12:16, Roberto J. Dohnert wrote:
> I know you guys have probably been pretty much fending off the naysayers
> for the last couple of days who are predicting doom on Red Hat.  I will

>From what I have read from the FAQ and other posts.

> 1.  Will Red Hat be extending the EOL for any of its older products such
> as RH 7.x and 8.x and will they allow any further renewal subscriptions to
> services for these older products?

No. You can find third party companies who will do this though.

> 2.  Will Red Hat make boxed versions available of Fedora Core through the
> online store or is there a plan to get a third party retail firm behind
> it?

Not at the present time if ever. It costs mucho money to push something
with such a short shelf-life into the retail channel. You basically end
up having to pay retailers to take it and thus you lose money.

> 3.  Will Red Hat extend any kind of service agreements to users of Fedora
> Core in a production environment who are subscribed to the RHEL services?

No. Red Hat isnt offering any support for Fedora, and only limited
maintenance for it.

> 4.  Has anyone heard or talked to Sun about the status of Java support
> extending to Fedora Core as they do through Red Hat 8.x and 9.x?

Nothing official. I am using the latest Java RPM on my RHEL beta box,
and had no problems with it on Severn 1 when I was testing it.

> 5.  What will be the status of NVidia driver support for Fedora Core?
>

>From what I have heard it works for some cards.. not for others. Being
binary only you get to deal with NVidia on all issues of getting it
working.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645 (note new #)