Latest FC kernel still have SMP bugs?

Matt Morgan matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org
Thu Apr 1 17:09:01 UTC 2004

On 04/01/2004 09:48 AM, Mitch Wiedemann wrote:

> Is the FC1 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl kernel still having problems with SMP
> and hanging?

Seems to be true on my PC.

> I'm due to install some MP servers soon and want to avoid problems
> (imagine that!).
>
> If said kernel is still having trouble, what's the easiest fix?

I have an Intel Hyperthreading 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 on some no-name box,
with an Asus motherboard. I used to crash daily with the SMP kernel
(vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2174.nptlsmp), immediately after logon (basically I
could logon once, after each reboot, before logging in became
impossible). It also crashed randomly throughout the day. Turning off
yum nightly updates helped a little; I think it fixed the logon problem
but not the random-crashes problem (not sure though!). Additionally
turning off acpi helped a lot, but I still crashed once every three or
four days (did not leave it in this state very long, though).

Using the non-smp kernel, vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl, works really well
(no crashing yet, in about 10 days), even with acpi and yum nightly
updates on. So I just use the non-smp kernel. This is a pretty fast
computer and I can't really tell any difference in speed--but I'm using
it for a workstation, not a server, and it's a lot more powerful than I
need for email, browsing, and office apps.

--Matt