GUMBY GRUB

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Tue Apr 6 22:48:51 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Apr 5, Douglas Furlong did say:

> I have not used Mandrake for quite a while so am not familiar with any
> of their tools any more.
>
> However Fedora is using yum to maintain off site (and yes you can make
> hand "on site" ones before some one tells me this) repositories and make
> for easy installation and maintenance (upgrades etc).
>
> Run "yum install lilo" and it should install : )
>
> Doug

It would appear that on Apr 5, duncan brown did say:

> there is lilo for fedora, look on the cds... or just use yum.
>

> [root at atom yum]# yum install lilo
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: fedora fore 1 base    :: [http://mirror.phy.bnl.gov]
> Server: fedora core 1 updates :: [http://mirror.phy.bnl.gov]
> Server: fedora core 1 extras  :: [http://www.fedora.us]
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Resolving dependencies
> Dependencies resolved
> I will do the following:
> [install: lilo 21.4.4-24.i386]
> Is this ok [y/N]:

Well it definitely sounds like yum is supposed to do the same kind of
thing as mandrakes urpmi... heres hoping it's easier to get it's sources
configured <grin> with any luck, yum will be one of the packages already
installed, and a man yum will tell me how to configure yum's sources...
I can't check at the moment as my fedora core installation is a work in
progress and I'm still doing my e-mail on my mandrake 9.1 partition <sigh>

If there is a list of recommended sources or other yum configuration
info that "man yum" won't tell me about, please do tell.,,

But in any case: Thanks to both of you for the helpful suggestion.

On another note, somewhere in this "subject/thread" there is some discussion
about replies vs new messages and the effect on threaded mode reading...

I used pine's [S]ave function to extract both of your messages to my
workspace folder, then when I figured that I wanted to combine them in
one reply, I marked them and started this message as a reply to marked
( literally: [A]pply : [R]eply )...

It will be interesting to see where This message winds up in the
threaded display. I welcome any comments from thread mode users as to
whether or not this kind of combination reply is a good or bad thing.
And/or how well/poorly pine did at it.

--

        -=-   -=-	 I'm NOT clueless...
        <?>   <?>    	But I just don't know.