Redhat Timeserver down? (Czornack)

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Wed Apr 7 12:28:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 02:28, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> ** Reply to message from jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net> on Tue, 06 Apr 2004
> 21:06:13 -0400

> > > Yes, I have that problem too, but only last couple days.
> >
> > If I remember, the ntp README, ntp protocol allows for the server to
> > ignore requests when heavily loaded (drop packets, sound familiar?). In
> > which event your machine ntpd will time out and try later at random
> > intervals.
> > Also in heavy traffic, if the sample jitter your machine receives is
> > more than 128mS over three seconds, the samples are discarded.
> > See the ntp README also man 1 ntpd
>
> It times out, you can't even ping it.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Erik P. Olsen
Could you ever ping it? Most firewalls don't allow pinging since this
can lead to a Dos attack. (From fedora.redhat.com)
PING www.redhat.com (209.132.177.50) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- www.redhat.com ping statistics ---
12 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 11016ms

--
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>