Simultaneous sounds with ALSA?

Nelson Guedes Paulo Junior npaulo at linux.ime.usp.br
Thu Apr 8 04:21:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 05:32:15AM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Do, den 08.04.2004 schrieb Mike Frisch um 04:52:
> > On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 11:44:23PM -0300, Nelson Guedes Paulo Junior wrote:
> > > I could configure xmms to play in DSP1, but I figure that it had only
> > > two DSP's (0 and 1) to chose from and on windows I'm almost certain that
> > > it could play at least 4 simultaneous sounds! Am I wrong????
> >
> > I think the 'proper' solution is to use either artsd or esd for
> > multiplexing accesses to the soundcard.  (I am joining this thread late,
> > so I apologize if this has already been mentioned)
>
> Sorry, but I think are wrong: With alsa there's no need for a
> sounddaemon like arts or esd. Softwaremixing needs additional hardware
> resources (CPU and Mem), so I prefer hardware mixing.
>
> And (sorry:-)) I think Chadley is wrong, too. If alsa is set up with
> oss-emulation layer it is completely transparent, you can play multiple
> sounds at once without changing to another dsp device.

I've tried, but it doesn't work.... :-(((

> __BUT_(of course): Your soundcard needs to support hardware mixing. See
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php3?vendor=All#matrix
> if your card is marked with a "4" in the "Notes" column.

I though my sound card supported, but I figure I was wrong. From the
above link I haven't found a "4" in the "Notes" column for my
soundblaster... :-(

> So I'd like to ask Nelson to post the relevant parts of his
> /etc/modules.conf. These are mine:

Here they are:

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
# Sound Levels for ALSA
post-install snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
# module options should go here

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias sound-slot-0 es1371
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

> Hope this might be helpful.
> (If your card is does not support hardwaremixing forget about this mail
> and use esd or arts :-)

I'll try.... :-)

Thanks...
[]'s