OH @$#%%$$#^ Fedora doesn't do mc pine or lyx ???????????

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu Apr 8 06:29:20 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Apr 6, Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell did say:

> On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 10:47:32PM +0000, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > It would appear that on Apr 5, duncan brown did say:
> >
> > > has probably changed, but from what i remember pine and pico (come in the
> > > same tar) are extremely difficult to compile.
>
> It is easy to compile....
>
> > of it it is at least, free to use... I don't know about source tarballs,
> > (I doubt I'd even attempt to compile it)
>
> Download it and give the README a look, it is easy to compile and install.
>
> I am a fan of pine and pico.  I love how it uses lyx/lynx to present
> html postings.  Since there is a binary package for windows it gets
> easy to use the same mail tool (pine) at any desktop your company hands you.
>
> By it's text nature it is a safer mailer than most but has it's issues.
> I see one of you used  Pine.LNX.4.50.
>    Please upgrade to Pine 4.58:
>    This new version fixes a major security vulnerability.

Lets see Pine 4.50, that would be me...<grin>

I tend to be slow to upgrade to new versions of anything. But then My
linux is only used by me, has both it's firewall enabled AND it's
behind a router that does NOT forward any ports. I do not allow even
myself to log on remotely etc... So far this hasn't caused me any grief
that I know of.

So ummnn what does this vulnerability do to me anyway???

And since your so knowledgeable about pine, can you tell me if I can
always just copy the .pinerc that works the way I want from an older pine
version to a newer one and trust that the newer pine will work properly,
Or do I really need to rework it every time I upgrade?

For me the fedora project is the 1st linux that I expect to
continuously update. So it makes sense that I might update the pine I
install to it. Still at the moment I'm still doing my mail with the pine
that came with mandrake 9.1 (at least till I get comfortable with
fedora...)

I only have marginal use for pico. It's a good editor and probably
seams easier to many people than vim does. But I've been using vim long
enough that I "LIKE" it. I find it very user friendly. Though I'll admit
the learning curve of any vi style editor is steeper for newbies than
most editors other than <shudder emacs shudder> of course <grin>

I also like to use lynx to open any links embedded in my email. (Though I
had to set that in the .pinerc to stop it from preferring links.) But I'm
not aware of it using lynx [browser] nor LyX [LaTeX gui front end] to
view html... Lynx has a different screen appearance (right down to
background color) from pine, so I think I'd have noticed. A quick search
of my .pinerc doesn't find the substring "htm" anywheres... So I gotta
ask, how do you enable that?

--

        -=-   -=-	 I'm NOT clueless...
        <?>   <?>    	But I just don't know.